Saturday 14 November 2009

Another Recipe - Rich Chocolate Sorbet


WARNING - this sorbet is extremely chocolatey! One person who tried this had only had fruit sorbets before so was expecting something a bit weird but to be honest, the final results reminded me a lot of Haagen Daaz Belgian Chocolate, so try it!

I don't think you really need an ice cream maker but it would probably be better as it needs to be stirred for a long time I think. I bought my ice cream maker for about £20 from http://www.qvcuk.com/ and it works just great.

Any questions, let me know.

INGREDIANTS:

2 1/4 cups (555ml) water
1 cup (200g) sugar
3/4 cup (75g) unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder (I just used Green & Black's cocoa)
Pinch of salt
6oz (175g) bitter chocolate (I used Tesco Finest 72% swiss chocolate)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

You could also add as options:

espresso (instant is fine)
coffee liqueur (such as tia maria or kahlua)

Put 1 1/2 cup of the water, the sugar and the cocoa powder together in a pan and bring to the boil.

Grate or cut the chocolate into small pieces, to aid melting

Take off the boil and add the grated/cut chocolate. Once it has melted in, put in the remaining ingrediants.

Chill the mixture for an hour or so before using in the ice cream maker. Normally 25 mins is adequate for my machine but I let this go on for an hour. It's just to get some air into it really. I think you can just mix frequently if you don't have an ice cream maker but it's probably quite laborious....

In the ice cream maker it will not get to a consistency adequate for sorbet so it will need to be frozen for a few hours. If it is too thick for the ice cream maker you can water it down a bit with cold water.

Sorry no pictures this time, I didn't think - but next time I will take pictures of the process.

NB when the mixture is hot, it makes a gorgeous, gorgeous thick, warm chocolate sauce - OMG...!

1 comment:

cd said...

56ppt for the whole thing - so don't eat it all at once!